General Settings, Theme and more
The Dashboard is the first screen you seen when you log into your WordPress website in the administration section of the blog. At a glance you can create a blog post, page, look at the site activity and more. Learn more about the WordPress Dashboard.
- The Admin Bar is located on the top of all the WordPress pages when you are logged in to your account. Learn more about the Admin Bar.
- General SettingsIt’s important you select the correct Time Zone for your blog along with the other items mentioned.
Write a tagline that is appropriate for you site. If you don’t change it, it will be the default WordPress tag. This is all found in the General Settings area.
Click here to go to General Settings – It’s vital to save all your changes in General Settings. The save button is found at the bottom of the General Setting panel. Watch a video at WordPress.TV about General Settings.
The Theme is how your site looks, or simply said, it’s the design of your WordPress site.
- Select a theme and customize your site. Select a free theme, premium means are paid themes. Watch video to learn more about themes.
- Select Theme – From your Dashboard, find Appearance on left sidebar, then select Themes.
- Free or Premium – You will be able to select free or Premium, meaning you need to pay. Start looking at the free themes and make a selection. You can change your theme at anytime. Look at all the details before selecting a theme.
- Make sure you select a theme that is responsive, meaning the design adjust to all devices for viewing.
- Very important about theme selection – Select a theme that will be easy to manage for your first WordPress site. Please ask instructor if you are not sure. Simple is always better for learning purposes.
- Theme Details – After you have selected your theme, read all the details about the how it is setup and managed. Multimedia Toolkit is currently using the Pictorico theme, featuring a single-column, grid-based portfolio theme with large featured images and a post slider, perfect for photoblogging or a portfolio site.
- Theme details are explained for Pictorico and how you will manage the look of the theme. Make sure you study the theme details for any theme you decide to use.
- Don’t like Theme? If you select a theme and don’t like it, you can change it at anytime. Details for some of the features and content change from theme to theme.
- Discussion settings, comments
- The Discussion Settings are used to control how visitors and other blogs interact with your site.
- Go to the Discussion Settings page
- Select the site to open the Discussion settings tab.
- There are several selections to make about if you want visitors to comment on your site and other settings. You can decide what you would like to do. (I don’t like comments as it cuts down posts you might not want.)You can also hold comments in moderation until you approve theme. Make sure you save all your changes at the bottom of the Discussion settings.
- If you are not sure what to do about comments, look at my settings to not allow comments and other settings. It can always be changed.
- Account Settings
Click here to update your Account Settings.
Make any changes you need to your account settings – To go to the Account Settings, click on the upper right-hand circle of a person or your photo on the admin bar.
- Email address
- Select your primary blog, if you have more than one blog
- Language – en- English (Don’t change)
- Instant Post Feedback
- Save Account Settings at bottom of the page.